Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Common Question

"When will I use this?"  This is the question that would frustrate me most as a math teacher.  Of course you will use this in real life. "But I'm not going to be a math teacher," they would say. Insert the word engineer, architect, programmer, accountant, or other math-centered field here.


My struggle was communicating how different topics would benefit kids when they got older and into the "real world."  Personally, with time, managing our finances, completing projects around the house, a factory job, and now a ministry job, there are a number of times I wish I could go back and say, "Here!" "Here!" "Here!"


I think there are at least two reasons kids ask this question. (1) They really don't see why a particular concept is important in the real world and/or (2) It's an easy go-to excuse to try to legitimize dislike for the content/subject.  After living life a bit, and with a math background, I feel like I can address - to some extent - the first one.


Here is something that Patriots receiver Chad Ochocinco posted on Facebook.
To be clear, this is not actually an equation.  This was actually the second time I had seen this same status.  My response is at the bottom.  But this exemplifies how a lot of kids feel in math class.

Future posts on this blog will have more practical examples.  But I want to throw out there right off the bat that regardless of whether or not you feel you can use the content in real life, you are learning the following skills (which you will definitely use in real life) while learning math:

- Learning logic
- Making logical arguments (which can in fact make you sound smarter/intelligent)
- Using rules to come up with more complex rules
- Applying known rules to an unknown situation (problem solving)
- Thinking critically
- Thinking abstractly

I would almost argue that these are more important than the content since you use them so often.


Also, there may be many adults that feel that they don't use a lot of mathematical content in their life.  I don't believe math is the answer to life's most important questions, but there are many times when if you were to use it or knew where to use it, it would make life much easier and heck, maybe even save money!


I look forward to this!

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. I know and use math on a regular basis. Not only do I use it at work, and to balance my checkbook, I use it to hang a picture to decorate my home. I use it to cook a meal for my family, I even use it when I go fishing!

    What I would have enjoyed in school is if the teacher would have taught us application along with the technique. Un-Schooling if you will. Show me how to do the math with a real life application such as converting measurements to cook a meal. Or how math is used to catch a whopper fish. It would have made it more fun and interesting than a bunch of problems on a page that really aren't relevant to my now adult life. I can say I never had to show my work on how I got the end result as long as it tasted good or if my whopper fish was mounted and properly hung on my family room wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you've got me curious about the fishing.

      The issue teachers deal with as far as doing real life application is that it may take multiple days or the school may not have equipment to allow certain things. Teachers are also under constraints in trying to cover all of these standards mandated by the state. They also are under pressure to get their kids to perform well on standardized tests, as the school's report card is based on this, and their job is as well. Some teachers manage it all very well. Some don't.

      There was so much I wanted to try in the classroom, but didn't have the time and sometimes the resources to pull it off. There was one ancient computer in each classroom running Windows 95 (in 2005), and to borrow a projector, you had to reserve it 3 days in advance. There were other issues, too.

      I think that textbooks are doing a better job of real-life application nowadays, and there is more of an emphasis on it overall in math education than before. They're headed in the right direction, but there will always be some frustration on applying classroom mathematics to the real world in the classroom.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea Joe!
    I use math everyday on and off the job. Some of the more common things, aside from the already mentioned cooking portions, might include:

    Figuring how much I should spend for gas if I have 14 Gallon tank which is 1/8 full and the price is $3.86/ga and I want to get as close to full as possible.

    When at the grocery trying to determine which is the better deal if the same product is available at $3 for 14 ounces or $4.50 for 20 ounces.

    Figuring the appropriate tip if it is assumed that 15% is standard and the service was 'OK'.

    Understanding where I am on a long road trip and how long I have left by understanding distance left to travel and average speed.

    One of my favorites that I saw advertised just today, get a 55" HDTV for just $29.95 per week. You only have to pay for 104 weeks (which is only two years). The TV retails for $1399!

    Math is your friend.

    ReplyDelete